FASD Respect Act
What is the FASD Respect Act?
The FASD Respect Act is legislation addressing FASD on a federal (national) level, making money available to state and tribal governments, people with FASD and their families, and local community groups and providers. This bill is sorely needed to fill the gaps in essential services available to people with FASD and their families and to bring FASD to the attention of our health, education, social welfare, and justice systems.
The Advancing FASD Research, Services, and Prevention Act was introduced into Congress on June 24, 2021, during 117th Congressional Session (S. 2238 and H.R. 4151). This bi-partisan legislation is co-sponsored in the Senate by Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-Minnesota) and in the House of Representatives by Representative Betty McCollum (D-Minnesota, 4th District) and Representative Don Young (R-Alaska, At-Large). The bill was referred to the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, and to the Energy and Commerce Health Subcommittee in the House.
We need your help to bring this bill to the attention of your legislators in the House and Senate!!
What can I do?
- Learn about this bill and see how it will bring resources to Wisconsin that will directly affect you – whether you are a service provider, an individual with an FASD, a family member or a citizen of our state. You can visit the FASD United website to read about the bill. You can also view this chart which summarizes the major parts of the bill.
- Share this information with your friends and family, put this on your Facebook page and send out a Tweet. Ask your workplace, place of worship, social club, or any organization you participate in to sign a letter in support of this bill. Letters from organizations carry a lot of weight with our legislators.
- Join the 90 Days / 90 Ways email campaign and receive ideas each day for actions you can take to support this bill.
- Write a personal letter or email to your Senators and your Representative that describes how this bill will affect you and your family. Don’t know who your legislator is or how to contact them? Find out here.
- Quickly send a message to your Senators and Representatives urging them to act using ResistBot.